Current honorary positions (selection)
- Chairperson of the Advisory Council and member of the Executive Board of ICOM
- Spokesperson of the German-speaking Egyptology in the International Association of Egyptologists
- Member of the University Council of the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Hildesheim/ Holzminden/Göttingen
- Member of the German Archaeological Institute
- Member of the Advisory Council of the Grand Egyptian Museum in Cairo and the Minya-Museum
Education and Qualifications
- Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich: Habilitation: War as a Component of the Divine Order - Conception and Composition of Ancient Egyptian Battle Scenes, 1995; Dissertation: Development and significance of the block statue type, 1985
- Free University Berlin: Magister: Concepts of public opinion in antiquity and the Middle Ages, 1978
- Practical training: internships and traineeships in the State Museum of Egyptian Art Munich (excavations at Minshat Abu Omar, Egypt), Roemer- und Pelizaeus-Museum Hildesheim, Egyptian Museum and Islamic Museum Berlin
- Walters Art Museum, Baltimore (USA): Director of International Curatorial Relations, 2006-2011; Director of the Curatorial Department 2002-2006; Acting Curator of Islamic Art, 2002-2010; Curator of Ancient Art, 2001-2011.
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore (USA), Department of Near Eastern Studies: Affiliate later Associate Professor 2004–2011
- Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich, Institute of Egyptology: Deputy director of the Institute, 2001; Associate professor and Academic senior assistant 1995–2000; Academic assistant 1991–1995; Research assistant/Lecturer, 1985–1990; Student tutor and Research assistant 1981–1982
- Roemer and Pelizaeus Museum Hildesheim: Research Assistant 1984–1999
- German Archaeological Institute, dept. Cairo: Research assistant 1983–1984
- State Museum of Egyptian Art Munich: Research assistant/excavation assistant 1980–1983
- Free University Berlin, Institute of Egyptology: Academic student assistant 1978–1980
Projects, Exhibitions, Lectures, Publications
Project management/co-management and participation in research projects (selection)
- Excavation Qantir/Piramesse currently in cooperation with the Institute of Archaeology and Cultural History of North Africa at the Humboldt University Berlin, since 2012
- World origin and theology of Hermopolis Magna and Tuna el-Gebel as part of a cult landscape in Middle Egypt from the late to the Roman period in cooperation with the Institute of Egyptology of the Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich and the University of Cairo, since 2015
- Provenance research in non-European collections and ethnology in Lower Saxony, since 2017
Knowledge repository Music in cooperation with the Center for World Music of the Foundation University of Hildesheim, since 2018
- The paintings of the temple of Amenhotep III at Wadi es-Sebua in the Egyptian Museum Cairo, cooperation with the Institute of Egyptology of the Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich and the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, since 2018
Since 1984/85 curator/co-curator of 69 exhibitions in various museums; organizer/co-organizer of 18 scientific Conferences (fields: Egyptology, Archaeology, History and Museology); editor/co-editor and author/co-author of 26 academic Book publications, 77 articles, 17 reviews and numerous contributions to museum catalogues.
Director/CEO of the Roemer and Pelizaeus Museum Hildesheim gGmbH und operating manager of the City-Museum Hildesheim, since 2011.
Associate Professor, Institute of Egyptology, Ludwig Maximilian Universität, Munich, since 2001.